New York News
Exclusive: Queens 4-year-old let off at wrong bus stop
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A family demanding answers and an investigation is underway after a bus dropped off two children at the wrong stop.
One of them was a 4-year-old boy who spent hours wandering the streets alone.
Eyewitness News spoke to the family exclusively.
"And he was just walking the streets, for two hours," said Elzbieta Niczewska, the student's mother.
A tearful Elzbieta Niczewska told Eyewitness News the story that could have ended far worse for her son Jan.
He's just 4 years old and it was his very first time on the school bus home from kindergarten at P.S. 119 in Glendale.
"Were you scared at all?" Eyewitness News reporter Stacey Sager asked.
"No," Jan said.
"So he's wearing this card which says where his stop is and he definitely didn't get off at this stop?" Sager asked.
"No, because my mom is standing there for three and a half hours," Niczewska said.
She says the driver told everyone on the bus to get off at Fresh Pond Road and Catalpa Avenue.
That's more than half a mile from the boy's home on 67th Place.
She says he then walked to his aunt's house on Forest Avenue, then over to his grandmother's house near Myrtle Avenue, before finally walking home and ringing up to his landlord's apartment, because his mom was still rushing home from work.
"I can't even describe how proud I am," Niczewska said.
Meanwhile, at Bobby's Bus Company in Ozone Park, they are promising a full investigation.
"They told me my son is supposed to know where he's getting off, and you're telling me he's supposed to know?" Niczewska said.
"Should a driver make sure that a parent is there?" Sager asked.
"It's not protocol, it's not mandated," the bus company said.
It's not mandated and so the boy's mother says she's too afraid to put her son back on the school bus, even though the Department of Education says they'll have a safety inspector on the bus Friday.
"Do you want to go back on the school bus?" Sager asked.
"Yes," Jan said.
He's as brave as ever.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, queens news, new york news, stacey sager
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014