New York News
Bronx daycare at center of drug bust
BRONX (WABC) -- A licensed day care center on Rosedale Avenue in the Bronx stood out as being one of the most well-kept buildings on the block with multiple security cameras. Turns out, authorities say, the couple running Fun World Childcare was trying to protect far more than the young children inside their playroom.
"It was really a substantial narcotics operation that was working out of that location and they were using the location as cover," Special Narcotics Prosecutor Bridget Brennan said.
They say there was more than a kilo of cocaine. Some of it was kept inside a child's insulated lunchbox in a basement fridge, but also inside the daycare center, a hundred 50 grams of crack-cocaine, a thousand oxycodone pills and, in a stash house across the street, a loaded gun and $160,000 hidden inside a t-v stand's hidden compartment.
"He was well aware of the risk - the risk that he was exposing all of those children to," Brennan said.
Neighbors and parents are now well aware of it, too. We found one woman's son went to the daycare center for a whole year.
"I'm upset about it, for my child," she said.
Authorities say they caught 41-year-old Gregorio Hanley selling drugs outside the center, which lead to a search warrant. His 31-year-old wife, Johanna Vasquez, who ran Fun World is also facing drug charges.
What's clear is the children were dangerously close to a life-threatening business.
"The children would've been in very close proximity to the drugs," Brennan said.
Hanley and Vasquez are charged with multiple counts of criminal sale of a controlled substance, criminal possession of a controlled substance, criminal use of drug paraphernalia, endangering the welfare of a child and unlawful dealing with a child.
Hanley is also charged with criminal possession of a weapon.
Ferrer faces two counts of criminal possession of a controlled substance.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, bronx news, drug bust, drug arrest, drug, new york news, stacey sager
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 19 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 14 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 56 min ago
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
14 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos