New York News
Bronx daycare at center of drug bust
BRONX (WABC) -- A licensed day care center on Rosedale Avenue in the Bronx stood out as being one of the most well-kept buildings on the block with multiple security cameras. Turns out, authorities say, the couple running Fun World Childcare was trying to protect far more than the young children inside their playroom.
"It was really a substantial narcotics operation that was working out of that location and they were using the location as cover," Special Narcotics Prosecutor Bridget Brennan said.
They say there was more than a kilo of cocaine. Some of it was kept inside a child's insulated lunchbox in a basement fridge, but also inside the daycare center, a hundred 50 grams of crack-cocaine, a thousand oxycodone pills and, in a stash house across the street, a loaded gun and $160,000 hidden inside a t-v stand's hidden compartment.
"He was well aware of the risk - the risk that he was exposing all of those children to," Brennan said.
Neighbors and parents are now well aware of it, too. We found one woman's son went to the daycare center for a whole year.
"I'm upset about it, for my child," she said.
Authorities say they caught 41-year-old Gregorio Hanley selling drugs outside the center, which lead to a search warrant. His 31-year-old wife, Johanna Vasquez, who ran Fun World is also facing drug charges.
What's clear is the children were dangerously close to a life-threatening business.
"The children would've been in very close proximity to the drugs," Brennan said.
Hanley and Vasquez are charged with multiple counts of criminal sale of a controlled substance, criminal possession of a controlled substance, criminal use of drug paraphernalia, endangering the welfare of a child and unlawful dealing with a child.
Hanley is also charged with criminal possession of a weapon.
Ferrer faces two counts of criminal possession of a controlled substance.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, bronx news, drug bust, drug arrest, drug, new york news, stacey sager
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls 26 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying 35 min ago
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 56 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
56 min ago