New York News
Con artist scamming job seekers out of money
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There's a criminal in the East Tremont section of the Bronx preying on people who are down and out.
He's promising them jobs in exchange for money.
Police say that job seekers desperate for employment are falling victim to a scam artist.
Investigators are asking for your help to find a man who goes by the name John Rosa.
Police say he promised people jobs, but instead walked away with their money.
So far, 11 victims say they met Rosa at 1941 Southern Boulevard where they paid him to buy uniforms and hold cleaning jobs around the tri-state area.
Investigators say he posted classified ads in a local Spanish language newspaper.
But when the victims went to work, they quickly found out those jobs didn't exist.
"I've never heard of anything like that. Scamming people, just taking people's money, that's crazy," said Precious Coleman, a resident.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, scams, bronx news, new york news, carolina leid
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Bill would require equal access to tenant amenities
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets 19 min ago
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win