New York News
Con artist scamming job seekers out of money
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There's a criminal in the East Tremont section of the Bronx preying on people who are down and out.
He's promising them jobs in exchange for money.
Police say that job seekers desperate for employment are falling victim to a scam artist.
Investigators are asking for your help to find a man who goes by the name John Rosa.
Police say he promised people jobs, but instead walked away with their money.
So far, 11 victims say they met Rosa at 1941 Southern Boulevard where they paid him to buy uniforms and hold cleaning jobs around the tri-state area.
Investigators say he posted classified ads in a local Spanish language newspaper.
But when the victims went to work, they quickly found out those jobs didn't exist.
"I've never heard of anything like that. Scamming people, just taking people's money, that's crazy," said Precious Coleman, a resident.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, scams, bronx news, new york news, carolina leid
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 23 min ago
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall