New York News
Con artist scamming job seekers out of money
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There's a criminal in the East Tremont section of the Bronx preying on people who are down and out.
He's promising them jobs in exchange for money.
Police say that job seekers desperate for employment are falling victim to a scam artist.
Investigators are asking for your help to find a man who goes by the name John Rosa.
Police say he promised people jobs, but instead walked away with their money.
So far, 11 victims say they met Rosa at 1941 Southern Boulevard where they paid him to buy uniforms and hold cleaning jobs around the tri-state area.
Investigators say he posted classified ads in a local Spanish language newspaper.
But when the victims went to work, they quickly found out those jobs didn't exist.
"I've never heard of anything like that. Scamming people, just taking people's money, that's crazy," said Precious Coleman, a resident.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, scams, bronx news, new york news, carolina leid
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster 50 min ago
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery 30 min ago
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms 27 min ago
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 5 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital