New York News
Queens hit and run leaves woman dead
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police have a suspect in custody after a hit and run accident that killed a woman in Queens Friday night.
Investigators say 59-year old Raj Chohan was hit while walking along parked cars at 97th Avenue and 117th Street in Richmond Hill at about 7 p.m.
Police say she was struck by a grey Toyota Camry heading north on 117th Street, which then fled the scene.
They later apprehended the suspect, identified as 23-year old Vishwanand Subryan of Schenectady, New York.
He has been charged with Vehicular Manslaughter, Criminally Negligent Homicide, Leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death, and DWI.
Eyewitness News has learned from people in the neighborhood that the victim is originally from Punjab, India.
She was in the neighborhood visiting someone.
She doesn't live on the block.
Eyewitness News spoke to one man who says he called 911 after he heard a crash.
"I see a person lying down. This is a mom, a female, and then I dialed 911," said Mahadeo Rambrich, a witness.
"What did the person look like when you saw her lying on the ground?" Eyewitness News asked.
"Not responding. She was unconscious," Rambrich said.
This neighborhood is mostly made up of Indian and Guyanese families, and residents describe it as peaceful and quiet.
There's a temple there.
But Friday night, everyone was shaken up by what happened.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, queens news, hit and run accident, new york news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 59 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
59 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos