New York News
Queens hit and run leaves woman dead
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police have a suspect in custody after a hit and run accident that killed a woman in Queens Friday night.
Investigators say 59-year old Raj Chohan was hit while walking along parked cars at 97th Avenue and 117th Street in Richmond Hill at about 7 p.m.
Police say she was struck by a grey Toyota Camry heading north on 117th Street, which then fled the scene.
They later apprehended the suspect, identified as 23-year old Vishwanand Subryan of Schenectady, New York.
He has been charged with Vehicular Manslaughter, Criminally Negligent Homicide, Leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death, and DWI.
Eyewitness News has learned from people in the neighborhood that the victim is originally from Punjab, India.
She was in the neighborhood visiting someone.
She doesn't live on the block.
Eyewitness News spoke to one man who says he called 911 after he heard a crash.
"I see a person lying down. This is a mom, a female, and then I dialed 911," said Mahadeo Rambrich, a witness.
"What did the person look like when you saw her lying on the ground?" Eyewitness News asked.
"Not responding. She was unconscious," Rambrich said.
This neighborhood is mostly made up of Indian and Guyanese families, and residents describe it as peaceful and quiet.
There's a temple there.
But Friday night, everyone was shaken up by what happened.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, queens news, hit and run accident, new york news
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos