New York News
Funeral held Saturday for solider from Staten Island
STATEN ISLAND -- A soldier killed in Afghanistan is being mourned on Staten Island.
A funeral was held Saturday for Army Staff Sgt. Michael H. Ollis, who died Aug. 28 from wounds suffered in an attack in Afghanistan's Ghazni Province.
He was 24 years old.
The Staten Island Advance reports that a military honor guard carried the young sergeant's flag-draped casket into the Our Lady Queen of Peace Roman Catholic Church in the borough's New Dorp section.
Hundreds of people came to pay their respects, including many police officers and firefighters and members of Staten Island veterans' groups.
Mayoral candidate Joe Lhota was among the mourners.
Ollis joined the Army in 2006. He served in Germany, Iraq and Afghanistan.
nyc news, staten island news, soldier killed, new york news
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 15 min ago
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309M for Tuesday drawing
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom 37 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
15 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos