New York News
Funeral held Saturday for solider from Staten Island
STATEN ISLAND -- A soldier killed in Afghanistan is being mourned on Staten Island.
A funeral was held Saturday for Army Staff Sgt. Michael H. Ollis, who died Aug. 28 from wounds suffered in an attack in Afghanistan's Ghazni Province.
He was 24 years old.
The Staten Island Advance reports that a military honor guard carried the young sergeant's flag-draped casket into the Our Lady Queen of Peace Roman Catholic Church in the borough's New Dorp section.
Hundreds of people came to pay their respects, including many police officers and firefighters and members of Staten Island veterans' groups.
Mayoral candidate Joe Lhota was among the mourners.
Ollis joined the Army in 2006. He served in Germany, Iraq and Afghanistan.
nyc news, staten island news, soldier killed, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield 52 min ago
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Up Close with Diana Williams