New York News
Funeral held Saturday for solider from Staten Island
STATEN ISLAND -- A soldier killed in Afghanistan is being mourned on Staten Island.
A funeral was held Saturday for Army Staff Sgt. Michael H. Ollis, who died Aug. 28 from wounds suffered in an attack in Afghanistan's Ghazni Province.
He was 24 years old.
The Staten Island Advance reports that a military honor guard carried the young sergeant's flag-draped casket into the Our Lady Queen of Peace Roman Catholic Church in the borough's New Dorp section.
Hundreds of people came to pay their respects, including many police officers and firefighters and members of Staten Island veterans' groups.
Mayoral candidate Joe Lhota was among the mourners.
Ollis joined the Army in 2006. He served in Germany, Iraq and Afghanistan.
nyc news, staten island news, soldier killed, new york news
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen