New York News
Funeral held Saturday for solider from Staten Island
STATEN ISLAND -- A soldier killed in Afghanistan is being mourned on Staten Island.
A funeral was held Saturday for Army Staff Sgt. Michael H. Ollis, who died Aug. 28 from wounds suffered in an attack in Afghanistan's Ghazni Province.
He was 24 years old.
The Staten Island Advance reports that a military honor guard carried the young sergeant's flag-draped casket into the Our Lady Queen of Peace Roman Catholic Church in the borough's New Dorp section.
Hundreds of people came to pay their respects, including many police officers and firefighters and members of Staten Island veterans' groups.
Mayoral candidate Joe Lhota was among the mourners.
Ollis joined the Army in 2006. He served in Germany, Iraq and Afghanistan.
nyc news, staten island news, soldier killed, new york news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 22 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
22 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos