New York News
Army sergeant from Staten Island died shielding soldier, report
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- New information about a soldier from Staten Island who was killed last month in Afghanistan describes his final heroic moments.
According to the Army Times, Staff Sergeant Michael Ollis died while shielding a Polish solider from a suicide bomber.
The report says Ollis has been nominated for the Silver Star, which is the third-highest military decoration for valor.
The Polish officer credited Ollis, who was just 24 years old, with saving his life.
Ollis was laid to rest last Saturday, as a military honor guard carried the the flag-draped casket into the Our Lady Queen of Peace Roman Catholic Church in the New Dorp section.
Hundreds of people came to pay their respects, including many police officers and firefighters and members of Staten Island veterans' groups.
Ollis joined the Army in 2006. He served in Germany, Iraq and Afghanistan.
nyc news, staten island news, soldier killed, new york news
- Newtown 911 calls released 29 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 23 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 32 min ago
- Woman charged with setting minivan fire, kids inside
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen... 35 min ago
- Parents plea for help to save boys from rare disease 39 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
23 min ago
- Bank forecloses on homeowner who is up to...
45 min ago