New York News
Arrest made in cold blooded killing of Brooklyn teen
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An arrest has been made in the cold blooded killing of a teenager in Brooklyn.
"I need him, but he's not here, so I'm hurt," said Mya Handy, the victim's sister.
For Mya Handy, the past two months have been torture. It's been two months since someone gunned down her brother in cold blood.
"Waking up at night crying, the stress, the thought the person wasn't going to be found," Handy said.
17-year-old Kamau Chandler, an aspiring journalist and architect, had been out with friends at a party on Fulton Street in Bedford-Stuyvesant, when cops say he looked the wrong way at another partygoer, who followed him outside and shot him in the head and the chest.
"They don't know each other from anywhere else in the world, two people just cross each other's paths," said Ashanti Walton, a friend, "Somebody got killed that night over nothing."
At the time, police released surveillance video showing two men running from the scene.
Tuesday they got their break. They say one of them was 18-year-old Claude Ward.
He was tied by multiple eyewitnesses to the shooting and is now in custody.
"It just breaks my heart knowing that he's gone. I wake up every day and I come here, I'm just speechless about it," said Stephen Ramsey, a friend.
But with friends and family still reeling from their loss, Kamau's sister says New York's Finest did her brother proud.
"I'm happy they worked hard and long to find this man. I'm happy," Handy said.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, bedford-stuyvesant, brooklyn news, shooting, murder, new york news, josh einiger
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 12 min ago
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77 1 min ago
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in...
12 min ago