New York News
Suspect wanted in attempted rape of 10-year-old
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police in Queens are searching for a dangerous sexual predator who attempted to rape a 10-year-old girl on her way to school.
Police released a sketch of the man they say is behind this heinous crime, which happened around 7:15 a.m. Monday at the intersection 168th Street and Douglas Avenue in Jamaica.
According to authorities, the man approached the girl while she walked to her school, where she just started sixth grade.
He reportedly pushed her to the ground, jumped on top of her and tried to rape her. Police say she kicked and screamed in an attempt to fight him off.
It wasn't until a car drove up that the man took off and fled the scene.
The girl was not physically injured and proceded to her school. She is now receiving counseling.
Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, jamaica, queens news, child sex assault, new york news
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel 36 min ago
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- Plane emergency reported at Philly airport
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- NY state Senate to call for $540 million for universal pre-K 14 min ago
- Malaysian Airlines search expands toward Indian Ocean 59 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane