New York News
Brooklyn mom murdered; Suspect, caught on camera, ID'd
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Brooklyn mother was brutally murdered in her home, and police have identified and are searching for her suspected killer, who was caught on video nearby.
The woman was found by her two young daughters, ages 15 and 5, inside their Chauncey Street apartment in Brownsville just before 9 p.m. Wednesday.
A memorial has been set up outside the building to remember 46-year-old Sellis Gonzales, who lived on the second floor.
Police have identified the suspect as 40-year-old Erik McCormick, who is the father of the 5-year-old girl.
Authorities say he showed up at the home around 8 p.m. Wednesday and gave the girls money to buy fried chicken at a restaurant around the corner.
When they returned, NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said, they found the door ajar and their mother in a pool of blood, shot six times. Gonzalez was reportedly shot three times in the head and three times in the chest.
She was rushed to Brookdale Hospital, where she was pronounced dead on arrival.
McCormick is described as a black male, 5-foot-8 and weighing 225 pounds.
Anyone with information in regards to whereabouts of Eric McCormick is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, brooklyn news, brownsville, shooting, murder, new york news
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help 31 min ago
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Video: Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade