New York News
'Taxi of the Future' hybrid cabs set to hit New York City streets
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The so-called Taxi of the Future will be hitting New York City streets in the near future.
The new hybrid cabs, Nissan NV200s, are expected to start running in October.
They are bigger, inside and out, and come with panoramic roofs.
Riders will also be able control the climate and charge phones on USB ports.
Bicyclists will know when someone is exiting a cab, and to avoid collisions, the doors slide open instead of opening out.
With a boxy shape and painted a brighter yellow than the city's current taxis, the cab offers a different experience for riders - starting with a flat, hump-less floor that makes shifting from one side to the other a simple task. They'll also have more leg room and even odor-reducing and anti-microbial fabric to help deal with, well, you know, anything you might smell in the backseat of a cab.
There are floor lights to help find anything that may have fallen to the floor, as well as overhead lights for reading. Luggage can go into the cargo space in the rear.
The Nissans will replace the more than 13,000 existing cabs as they age and are retired - based on a five-year schedule created by the TLC.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Large explosion, fire in East Harlem; at least 11 hurt 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live! 18 min ago
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 4 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos