New York News
Man trying to help woman, pushed on subway tracks
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A man who came to the rescue of a woman being attacked on a subway platform suddenly became a victim himself.
The suspect turned on the Good Samaritan and tossed him onto the tracks.
"When you look down, it's like you see a long tunnel with a light at the end! It's something out of a movie," said Jered Harvey, a college student.
If you're the kind of person who thinks chivalry is dead, you should meet Jered Harvey.
"I saw a man beating up a woman, and that's really what it came down to for me," Harvey said.
The 19-year-old Pace University student was heading back to his dorm after class Thursday night, at the Fulton Street 2-3 stop, when he happened upon a man and woman in hand to hand combat on the platform.
"They were like gripping each other by their shirts throwing punches at each other's face, this was not a lovers' quarrel, this was like a serious people beating the heck out of each other," Harvey said.
He tried to get them to stop, but that's when cops say the much larger man vaulted him off the platform, and onto the tracks below, and then tried to stop him from climbing back up.
Eventually another straphanger distracted the assailant, and Jered was able to pull himself to safety before a train pulled in.
And the woman he was trying to help, was unharmed.
"I think it's really a testament to how much courage he showed in a situation," said Olivier Busquet, Jered's stepfather, "My takeaway is how thankful I am that nothing worse happened than did. Because it could have been much worse than it was."
It sure could have been, especially because Jered says as many as 20 people on the platform never tried to help him off the tracks.
But he'd do it all again, he says, and he doesn't even have very hard feelings toward the man who almost killed him.
"Even though this guy's dangerous, this is the rest of his life that we're talking about," Harvey said.
Police later arrested 29-year-old Rayfield Grant. He's charged with reckless endangerment and assault.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, josh einiger
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Multiple children injured in Toms River bus accident 12 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 45 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims 15 min ago
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
45 min ago