New York News
Suspect charged with swiping purses in Manhattan while in wheelchair
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police say they've captured the thief who rips off people while in a wheelchair.
Investigators say 25-year old Matias Moreno-Boza of Perth Amboy, New Jersey is the man seen in surveillance pictures.
He's charged with four counts of grand larceny.
Moreno-Boza is accused of swiping pocketbooks from women at Manhattan night spots.
Investigators say they caught him stealing another purse Friday night.
Police released surveillance photos of him wheeling away, dressed all in black.
"A guy in a wheel chair stealing purses, that's crazy. I guess only in New York," said Brayan Orzo, a customer.
Investigators believe this man stole a 42-year-old woman's bag at the Marriot Marquis Hotel on Monday August 19th, getting away with her wallet, iPad, necklace, and money.
Then four days later, a 34-year-old woman noticed her bag was missing at Nobu on 57th Street, again credit cards and money all gone.
Police say she hung it up underneath a bar.
And another four days after that incident, a 40-year-old woman placed her purse on an empty chair next to her.
She got up to dance and when she got back found her purse was missing, and her wallet, credit cards and money were all inside.
"How is that possible. He must be fast. That's crazy that people steal a purse in a wheel chair," said Cornelio Joseph, a customer.
"It's stealing whether you're on crutches, in a wheelchair, or walking. It's against the law," said another customer.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 48 min ago
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken 49 min ago
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response 46 min ago
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
48 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos