New York News
Queens car accident leaves pedestrian dead
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A car careened onto a sidewalk Monday, hitting and killing a pedestrian in the Whitestone section of Queens.
The victim, Michael Munoz, was struck on the Whitestone Expressway Service Road and 20th Avenue at around 2:15 p.m. while selling water.
Eyewitness News has learned that Munoz sold water not just from the sidewalk, but also from right on the service road.
It's not yet known if the victim was in the road or on the sidewalk at the time of the crash.
The 78-year-old driver was in a black Toyota Camry when investigators say for one reason or another, the driver lost control of the vehicle and slammed into Munoz and a steel post that holds a gate entering a corporate plaza.
The car hit with such force that it nearly pushed the post out of the asphalt.
The driver, his female passenger, and Munoz were all rushed to New York Hospital in Queens where the pedestrian was pronounced dead.
No charges are expected to be filed.
The victim's brother says their mother was hit and killed by a car a few years ago.
"I'm angry but that's not gonna do nothing, I'm more sad because I'm not going to see my brother again," said Raphael Munoz. "We were just making plans to go see my mother at the graveyard."
It's still not clear why the driver lost control of the vehicle.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, joe torres
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 35 min ago
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad 1 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Bloomberg rides 7 train to station he helped build 14 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos