New York News
East Harlem school bus shooting sparks manhunt
EAST HARLEM (WABC) -- The search continues for a shooter in East Harlem after a bullet hit a school bus filled with children Monday afternoon.
The NYPD still has the area around East 127th Street taped off between Madison and Park avenues, guarding the bus.
The shooting happened around 4:30 p.m., and witnesses reported hearing six to eight shots, one of which hit the bus above the windshield.
The bus was carrying 11 children, mostly 5 and 6 years old, from the Choir Academy.
Police do not believe the bus was targeted, but that was little consolation to concerned parents.
"It could be my son on the same school bus, coming from school in the same situation," one area resident said. "So it's very sad to hear that, and we got to make it safe and whatever we can do."
Investigators used flashlights to search the ground and floodlights to search the bus, and another search is under way for a blue pickup truck seen fleeing the scene.
Police also found ballistic evidence around the block.
"It shouldn't have happened in the first place, that's it," resident Anthony Scott said. "I mean, there's this thing about, you don't do stuff like that. You just don't. Especially around a school. It just makes it worse. That's all. Hopefully they catch whoever it was and that will be the end of that."
Authorities say the shooting happened about one block west of where the bus was located. Anyone with information is asked to call police.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, east harlem, bus, shooting, new york city, new york news
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 7 min ago
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309M for Tuesday drawing
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom 29 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
7 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos