New York News
East Harlem school bus shooting sparks manhunt
EAST HARLEM (WABC) -- The search continues for a shooter in East Harlem after a bullet hit a school bus filled with children Monday afternoon.
The NYPD still has the area around East 127th Street taped off between Madison and Park avenues, guarding the bus.
The shooting happened around 4:30 p.m., and witnesses reported hearing six to eight shots, one of which hit the bus above the windshield.
The bus was carrying 11 children, mostly 5 and 6 years old, from the Choir Academy.
Police do not believe the bus was targeted, but that was little consolation to concerned parents.
"It could be my son on the same school bus, coming from school in the same situation," one area resident said. "So it's very sad to hear that, and we got to make it safe and whatever we can do."
Investigators used flashlights to search the ground and floodlights to search the bus, and another search is under way for a blue pickup truck seen fleeing the scene.
Police also found ballistic evidence around the block.
"It shouldn't have happened in the first place, that's it," resident Anthony Scott said. "I mean, there's this thing about, you don't do stuff like that. You just don't. Especially around a school. It just makes it worse. That's all. Hopefully they catch whoever it was and that will be the end of that."
Authorities say the shooting happened about one block west of where the bus was located. Anyone with information is asked to call police.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, east harlem, bus, shooting, new york city, new york news
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect 50 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
12 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos