New York News
Military jets escort planes away from UN airspace
WASHINGTON -- U.S. military fighter jets have been buzzing over the New York City region, chasing at least three small planes that violated restricted airspace over the United Nations and had to be escorted away.
A spokesman for the North American Aerospace Defense Command says there were at least three incidents within about 90 minutes Monday afternoon, triggering calls and chatter on social media.
The spokesman, John Cornelio, said F-16 fighters intercepted all three small planes and escorted them away to area airports where they were met and checked by law enforcement. He said there appeared to be no terrorism concerns.
A swath of airspace around New York City has been restricted due to the ongoing United Nations General Assembly, which President Barack Obama is attending.
nyc news, new york city news, united nations, new york news, new york city, new york news
- At least 2 dead, 64 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 48 min ago
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 11 min ago
- Survivors and witnesses describe East Harlem explosion 7 min ago
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East...
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15...
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion...
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
4 min ago
- Missing Malaysian plane's last...
16 min ago