New York News
Activist group sprays fake bike lanes in Midtown
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A group of bicycle advocates say desperate times call for desperate measures.
And now they're turning the issue of safety into a street fight.
Members of a group called "Right of Way" decided to spray paint fake bike lanes along six blocks in Midtown.
They made their point with spray paint and stencils over the weekend.
Some people call them bike vigilantes, but these activists say they are sending a message.
"This bike lane is not going to survive," said Keegan Stephan, a Right of Way bike activist. "We know it's not a proper bike lane, this is a statement."
Especially on West 49th and Sixth, where they say a bike lane merging into traffic led to an altercation last month.
Afterwards, a cabbie lurched forward, severing a British tourist's leg, and so now there are six different blocks of Right of Way's stenciled symbol.
The group is taking to the streets unauthorized, and leaving their mark.
As you're riding up Sixth Avenue, unless you're some sort of a bike lane expert, you would never be able to tell that Right of Way's symbol is not a legal bike lane.
Best case scenario: the group hopes to raise awareness about traffic safety.
In Seattle, a similar action by a rogue bike group led that city to implement the unauthorized bike lanes and tweak them.
In New York, the city's D.O.T. so far says they'll inspect the area and take appropriate action. But so far this 'road test' continues.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, stacey sager
- Bill Bratton to be named next Police Commissioner 1 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment 39 min ago
- Fast food workers strike to demand higher wages
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train...
39 min ago