New York News
Police rescue man threatening to jump off Verrazano Bridge
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police made a dramatic rescue Tuesday morning of a man threatening to jump off the upper roadway of the Verrazano Bridge.
Four officers from the NYPD's emergency services unit arrived at 11 a.m. to find a 62-year old man on the Staten Island bound upper roadway of the bridge.
Officers Vlad Green and Frank Gigliotti, along with Detective Nicholas Scianna and an officer from the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority, talked with him while they waited for the Hostage Negotiation Team to arrive.
Once on the scene, a hostage negotiator was able to convince the man to voluntarily come in from the edge of the bridge.
The officers from the Emergency Services unit secured him in a safety harness and brought him to safety.
The man was then taken to Lutheran Hospital, uninjured, for evaluation.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- New measles cases confirmed in New York City 35 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos