New York News
Police rescue man threatening to jump off Verrazano Bridge
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police made a dramatic rescue Tuesday morning of a man threatening to jump off the upper roadway of the Verrazano Bridge.
Four officers from the NYPD's emergency services unit arrived at 11 a.m. to find a 62-year old man on the Staten Island bound upper roadway of the bridge.
Officers Vlad Green and Frank Gigliotti, along with Detective Nicholas Scianna and an officer from the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority, talked with him while they waited for the Hostage Negotiation Team to arrive.
Once on the scene, a hostage negotiator was able to convince the man to voluntarily come in from the edge of the bridge.
The officers from the Emergency Services unit secured him in a safety harness and brought him to safety.
The man was then taken to Lutheran Hospital, uninjured, for evaluation.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 9 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
9 min ago