New York News
Brooklyn community pleads for clues in mom's murder
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A community in Brooklyn is coming together Wednesday to make a plea for help in finding a suspected killer.
Police say 40-year-old Erick McCormick is the man who was caught on surveillance video in Brownsville following the shooting death of his ex-girlfriend, 46-year-old Sellis Gonzalez.
The woman's two children, one of whom is fathered by McCormick, found her body last week inside their Chauncey Street apartment.
Community activists will ask for help in front of the church where Gonzalez's funeral will be held.
Authorities say McCormick showed up at the home around 8 p.m. Wednesday and gave the girls money to buy fried chicken at a restaurant around the corner.
When they returned, NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said, they found the door ajar and their mother in a pool of blood, shot six times. Gonzalez was reportedly shot three times in the head and three times in the chest.
She was rushed to Brookdale Hospital, where she was pronounced dead on arrival.
McCormick is described as a black male, 5-foot-8 and weighing 225 pounds.
Anyone with information in regards to whereabouts of Eric McCormick is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, brooklyn news, brownsville, shooting, murder, new york news
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub 50 min ago
- Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half Marathon 8 min ago
- Suspect tries to abduct 11-year old boy in Queens 18 min ago
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014