New York News
Canarsie chase ends in crash that leaves 6 hurt, 2 critically
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Six people are hospitalized, two in critical condition, after a collision in Brooklyn early Friday.
The crash damaged at least three cars, causing one SUV to land on its side in front of an apartment building.
The accident happened at the intersection of Avenue J and East 85th Street in the Canarsie section.
Police say the incident started as a traffic stop near the intersection of Near Flatlands Avenue and East 84th Street just after midnight, when the driver fled the scene. As police officers got out of their patrol cruiser and approached the vehicle on foot, the 22-year-old driver sped off with his three passengers.
An eyewitness said car being chased ran a red light, causing the crash.
"I have a daughter, and she was traumatized," said Canarsie resident Rose Harriott.
The SUV injured the 27-year-old man in that vehicle the most.
"That person was basically upside-down," said eyewitness Patrick Gallimore.
Many people had questions Friday, about whether such a high-speed chase through a neighborhood was necessary.
"How could they catch an individual faster, or better handle the situation?" Gallimore adds.
For Rose Harriott and her family, it is other questions about cost and cleanup. Harriott runs a small daycare operation that is now temporarily shut down.
"Well I have to turn people away, it means I am out of business," says Harriott, I can't pay my bills, I can't survive."
The driver who fled the scene and apparently caused the crash was taken into custody. He is at Brookdale Medical Center, and charges against him are pending.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, brooklyn news, canarsie, accident, police chase, new york news, stacey sager
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 50 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
6 min ago