New York News
Marijuana found in toddler's daycare bag in Harlem
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police say a teacher got a strong whiff of weed coming from a three-year-old student at New Life School in Harlem.
The employee opened the girl's backpack and found 14 bags of marijuana, and immediately called police.
"My nephew goes here, my daughter goes to school around the corner - that's just crazy," said parent Fatima Mohammed, "where did they get it from? How did they get out of the house with it?"
The incident happened around 1 on Friday afternoon. Police questioned several people, including the girl's parents, eventually figuring out that a family friend is allegedly responsible.
School administrators refused to talk to Eyewitness News, and instead called police to guard the building.
Parents say teachers were tight-lipped as they picked up their kids.
"For them not to inform us, I'm really surprised," said Maxine Smith.
"This place has been around for a long time, it's shocking, said another parent, Shenice Robinson, "no one has ever said anything like that about this place. My child came here because I heard good things about the school."
Kelly Mena, 24, was arrested and charged with Criminal Possession of Marijuana & Criminal Sale of Marijuana
The suspect is a friend of the father, and police say he put the drugs in the backpack the night before and forgot about it.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, carolina leid
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Golden Globes nominations announced 12 min ago
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- 'Fake' interpreter says he was hallucinating at Mandela event
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss 17 min ago
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code 25 min ago
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos