New York News
Parent receives attendance call from school after son's death
KENSINGTON (WABC) -- Jonas Pierre says he will never get over losing his son, 16-year-old Jean Fritz Pierre, who drowned last June on a school field trip to Bear Mountain. He will also never understand why he got an automated school attendance call after school began this September.
"It makes me feel very bad, because it makes me feel sad to think everything I always did for him when the school was open," said Jonas.
Jonas has since erased the voice message from his phone, a standard message when students do not show up at school.
The Department of Education, and even the mayor have expressed regret for the phone call, but Jonas said that more than an apology, he wants the teachers involved to take responsibility for the death of his son.
The reminder was enough to lead Jonas to show Eyewitness News the clothing Jean Fritz wore before he, and one other student jumped into Hessian Lake, where swimming is not allowed.
According to Jonas, the teacher did not say "don't go in the water", and instead just wanted to know who was swimming.
Jonas says he does not at all blame the teachers. As for the troubling phone call?
"Everybody came to the funeral? Why'd you call me?" he adds.
Jonas says he has not ruled out a lawsuit over his son's death.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Nekisia Davis' mom, Cheryl, stole a 1993 Honda Accord - and she didn't even mean to. 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Burlington County woman charged with trying to kill her 3...
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 20 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 17 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos