New York News
Man injured after stairs collapse during party in East Village
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One man was seriously hurt and dozens of partygoers needed to be rescued after a stairway collapsed inside an east village building.
The rooftop party turned into a rescue mission when the FDNY had to respond with 12 units and 60 firefighters after the stairwell collapsed.
Officials say the man that was injured was jumping on the stairs and was injured with fractured ribs and a broken ankle. He was being treated at Bellevue.
The buildings department says the building is safe, but people were not supposed to be on the roof.
Officials say the building has a lot of college aged students in the building that do a lot of 'partying'.
The investigation continues.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos