New York News
Man injured after stairs collapse during party in East Village
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One man was seriously hurt and dozens of partygoers needed to be rescued after a stairway collapsed inside an east village building.
The rooftop party turned into a rescue mission when the FDNY had to respond with 12 units and 60 firefighters after the stairwell collapsed.
Officials say the man that was injured was jumping on the stairs and was injured with fractured ribs and a broken ankle. He was being treated at Bellevue.
The buildings department says the building is safe, but people were not supposed to be on the roof.
Officials say the building has a lot of college aged students in the building that do a lot of 'partying'.
The investigation continues.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer 59 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 50 min ago
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 38 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32 45 min ago
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
9 min ago