New York News
Man injured after stairs collapse during party in East Village
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One man was seriously hurt and dozens of partygoers needed to be rescued after a stairway collapsed inside an east village building.
The rooftop party turned into a rescue mission when the FDNY had to respond with 12 units and 60 firefighters after the stairwell collapsed.
Officials say the man that was injured was jumping on the stairs and was injured with fractured ribs and a broken ankle. He was being treated at Bellevue.
The buildings department says the building is safe, but people were not supposed to be on the roof.
Officials say the building has a lot of college aged students in the building that do a lot of 'partying'.
The investigation continues.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring 31 min ago
- Brownsville hit and run accident kills pedestrian 14 min ago
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring
31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
25 min ago