New York News
Suspect arrested in pipe beating on Brooklyn subway platform also questioned in brick attack
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police have arrested a suspect in a brutal attack at a Brooklyn subway station, and are questioning him for the brick beating robbery attempt earlier this month that left an internationally-known runner in critical condition.
The suspect has been identified as 25-year-old Leon Sims.
The subway victim, 35-year-old Asim Raza, was left badly hurt and in need of stitches.
The incident happened just after 1 a.m. on September 22 at the Ralph Avenue C train subway station in Bedford-Stuyvesant.
Raza was just trying to get home after his shift at Popeye's when a man came out of nowhere and beat him with a pipe.
"'Why you hit me,' I said, 'I did nothing to you,'" Raza said. "Why? Why he hit me?"
He fell onto the tracks, suffered a chipped tooth and serious injuries to his face that required 20 stitches.
"He didn't steal anything, he didn't say anything, he just keep hitting me, just like a ball," Raza said. "Just keep hitting me like a ball. I was scared. I was really scared."
Police say Sims, fled on foot along the tracks. EMS transported the victim to Interfaith Medical Center in stable condition.
Suveillance cameras caught clear images of Sims, which police credited with assisting in the arrest. Sims is charged with two counts of felony assault.
The brick attack happened on 58th Street between 11th and 10th avenues, after victim Andrew Billington and his girlfriend left a concert.
The 37-year-old, who was reportedly in town to train for the New York Marathon, had just left the Terminal Club when he was approached from behind and struck over the head with a brick apparently covered in a cloth. After Billington hit the ground, police say he was struck again in the face.
The suspect proceeded to reach into Billington's pockets, but did not remove any property.
All the while, Billington's girlfriend was screaming, terrified.
Billington was transported to Bellevue Hospital and is listed in stable condition.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, brooklyn news, new york city, subway crime, new york news
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos