New York News
Riverside Park stabbing victim speaks out
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The father that was slashed protecting his son in Riverside Park, has been released from the hospital and spoke exclusively to Eyewitness News.
"I don't think I'll be up to it as soon as tomorrow, but as soon as I'm up to it we'll be back in the park," said James Fayette, stabbing victim.
James Fayette was inside Riverside Park Tuesday morning with his 18-month-old son Luke when they both found themselves on the receiving end of a scissor blades being violently thrust at them.
The attack happened at 8 a.m. on West 65th Street in Riverside Park and continued south along the Hudson River bike path.
"Luke's upstairs, being a little boy," Fayette said.
He did his best to protect Luke from 43-year-old Julius Graham.
Police say he stabbed five people in the park before Fayette and another Good Samaritan stopped the random attack.
"Protecting my son, it's something any dad would do," Fayette said. Fayette was slashed in the chest and his son suffered a slash wound to his arm.
The other victims were 36-year-old Deanne Koestel, 36-year-old Ben Lohnen, and 32-year-old Jessica Lipps.
Witnesses say Graham had a pair of scissors with black handles and that Fayette and the other Good Samaritan heard screams for "help" from one of the women being attacked.
When they yelled at Graham to stop, witnesses say Graham went after Fayette.
The 35-year-old father says he's moving slowly and just happy to be back home.
"It was crazy one-time event," Fayette said.
Graham is emotionally disturbed, homeless, and is originally from Texas.
He is charged with five counts of assault, criminal possession of a weapon and resisting arrest.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, upper west side, stabbing, new york news, darla miles
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon 7 min ago
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements 7 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on 51 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 41 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 12 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 56 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together 30 min ago
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos