New York News
Riverside Park stabbing victim speaks out
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The father that was slashed protecting his son in Riverside Park, has been released from the hospital and spoke exclusively to Eyewitness News.
"I don't think I'll be up to it as soon as tomorrow, but as soon as I'm up to it we'll be back in the park," said James Fayette, stabbing victim.
James Fayette was inside Riverside Park Tuesday morning with his 18-month-old son Luke when they both found themselves on the receiving end of a scissor blades being violently thrust at them.
The attack happened at 8 a.m. on West 65th Street in Riverside Park and continued south along the Hudson River bike path.
"Luke's upstairs, being a little boy," Fayette said.
He did his best to protect Luke from 43-year-old Julius Graham.
Police say he stabbed five people in the park before Fayette and another Good Samaritan stopped the random attack.
"Protecting my son, it's something any dad would do," Fayette said. Fayette was slashed in the chest and his son suffered a slash wound to his arm.
The other victims were 36-year-old Deanne Koestel, 36-year-old Ben Lohnen, and 32-year-old Jessica Lipps.
Witnesses say Graham had a pair of scissors with black handles and that Fayette and the other Good Samaritan heard screams for "help" from one of the women being attacked.
When they yelled at Graham to stop, witnesses say Graham went after Fayette.
The 35-year-old father says he's moving slowly and just happy to be back home.
"It was crazy one-time event," Fayette said.
Graham is emotionally disturbed, homeless, and is originally from Texas.
He is charged with five counts of assault, criminal possession of a weapon and resisting arrest.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, upper west side, stabbing, new york news, darla miles
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 41 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 40 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 31 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 29 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos