New York News
Off-duty officer arrested in fatal Staten Island accident
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- An off-duty police officer is under arrest on drunk driving charges after striking and killing a pedestrian on Staten Island.
51-year old William Hemphill of Tilghman, Maryland, was struck in the eastbound lanes on Richmond Terrace near Lake Avenue just after 6:15 a.m. on Friday.
He was rushed to Richmond University Medical Center in cardiac arrest. He was pronounced dead a short time later.
Authorities said the driver of the vehicle left the scene, but came back later, stopping in the westbound lanes.
The 29-year-old Joseph McClean, identified as an off-duty police officer, was charged with vehicular manslaughter and driving while intoxicated.
McClean was arraigned at Staten Island Criminal Court and bail was set at $50,000. His next court date is October 9.
According to the criminal complaint, McClean was found at the scene of the crash by a responding officer.
"It's me. I was involved," he told the officer.
McClean appeared intoxicated, he had an odor of alcohol, a flushed face, watery eyes, and slurred speech.
Hs blood alcohol level was determined to be .073.
If you would like to send a donation to the victim's family please send them to:
The Voluntary Fund of IUOE LOCAL 25
In care of: Bruce Hemphill
463 State Route #33
Millstone Twp, NJ 08535
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, staten island news, staten island, accident, hit and run accident, new york news
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 87, Nobel laureate whose novels and... 2 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 26 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 33 min ago