New York News
Brooklyn mom charged after baby found dead
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- A mother is in custody and facing charges after cops found her unconscious 19-month-old baby boy at 1199 Ocean Avenue in Brooklyn on Sunday.
Emergency crews rushed the boy, identified as Justin Stephens, to Community Hospital, where doctors pronounced him dead.
Police initially responded to the scene in Flatbush following a 911 call for an emotionally disturbed person.
Authorities say it appears the mother left a suicide note and tried to jump off a balcony, but a Good Samaritan intervened and notified police.
Now, 20-year-old Anna Thomas is facing murder and manslaughter charges .
An autopsy being conducted by the Medical Examiner will determine the cause of death. There were no signs of trauma.
When police responded to Thomas' home, they observed her attempting to jump out a window.
Thomas is a nurse. She was staying at her aunt's house.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, flatbush, brooklyn news, child death, new york news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases