New York News

Woodside fire leaves 1 dead, at least 7 hurt

Monday, October 07, 2013
fire in woodside, queens

Two people are in critical condition after a fire tore through a home in Queens early Monday.

A woman died and other residents jumped out windows to escape a fast moving fire early Monday in the Woodside section of Queens.

Firefighters raced to the scene on 74th Street in Woodside around 3:30 a.m.

The home is located right next door to a church. The fire started in a first floor living room, possibly sparked by a candle, and quickly spread.

One person arrived home, saw the fire and ran inside to get residents out.

A 57 year old woman was burned and in cardiac arrest as she was rushed to Elmhurst Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Two men, ages 23 and 47, were on the second floor but managed to escape. They were both taken to Elmhurst Hospital, where they treated for smoke inhalation and are in stable condition.

A 20 year old male sustained first and second degree burns and smoke inhalation.

A 38 year old woman was treated and released for smoke inhalation.

Other residents and three firefighters were treated at Elmhurst Hospital for minor injuries.

The fire was brought under control at about 5 a.m. It is not considered suspicious.

(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more New York News »


Tags:
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, woodside, queens news, fire, new york news
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement