New York News
"Staten Island Day" held to honor borough
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- It is a tradition that signals that there are only a few short weeks until the ING New York City Marathon. On Sunday, thousands gathered for a 13.1 mile race - a practice run. However, this half marathon was not like any other.
The New York Road Runners decided to add in all of this, and call it "Staten Island Day", a chance to celebrate and honor a borough that went through so much when Superstorm Sandy hit.
"It puts people back in the mood, the community comes together, and everyone has fun," said Staten Island resident Kristy Levine.
Last year after the marathon was cancelled, many runners already in the area for the race donated their time, volunteering to help clean up Staten Island.
"It was astonishing, and when I saw the footage on the news, I thought 'this doesn't look real'," said runner Raymond Cuadrado.
Cuadrado is a New York City firefighter who was on duty in the days following Sandy. Like so many people at Staten Island Day, Cuadrado felt this was just a taste of things to come.
"A lot of guys, we're all running together, it's going to be a really good time, I'm really looking forward to it," Cuadrado adds.
This event has far-reaching effects. The New York Road Runners will donate at least $100,000 to two organizations working directly with those still dealing with the aftermath of Sandy.
"This borough has shown so much resiliency," said the CEO of New York Road Runners, Mary Wittenberg, "I am excited about the future, and what's going on here, so hats off to the borough president and everyone who has stood strong for Staten Island all year long."
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, kemberly richardson
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad 11 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Nativity theft being investagated as hate crime 12 min ago
- Bloomberg rides 7 train to station he helped build 56 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos