New York News
Shutdown bars West Point band from Columbus Day parade
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The impact of the federal government shutdown will be noticed at Monday's 69th annual Columbus Day parade in New York City.
The West Point Marching Band was scheduled to lead the parade.
But the group has been barred from marching due to the ongoing shutdown, now entering its third week.
"The cancellation of the West Point Marching Band in the Columbus Day Parade, which we learned about officially only on Friday, October 11, three days before the parade, was every bit as regrettable for the Band as it was for us," said Frank Fusaro, President of the Columbus Citizens Foundation. "It is very regrettable that for reasons unrelated to their professionalism and commitment to our country that they are unable to perform on Fifth Avenue this Columbus Day."
Leading the Parade instead will be the Ohio Northern University Marching Band, known also as the Star of Northwest Ohio.
The band's appearance was to be underwritten entirely by the Columbus Citizens Foundation, which months prior to the government shutdown had agreed to pay for all costs, including transportation, tolls, and meals.
The West Point Marching Band is part of the U.S. Military Academy Band.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, parade, new york city, new york news
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem 18 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help 1 min ago
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 15 min ago
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Authorities continue to clear debris from...
23 min ago
- Group running NYC half-marathon to inspire,...
48 min ago