NEW YORK (WABC) -- A family is mourning the death of their toddler son, run down by an accused drunk driver.
Monday night, they were talking about the unexpected and shocking series of events that happened after their little boy was hit.
The boy's mother got even more life-changing news, just moments after her son's death.
It all began Friday night on Junction Boulevard in Queens.
This family has only been in the United States for six months.
They came here from Honduras in search of a better way of life.
Monday night their neighbors raised money and so far they have enough to pay for the funeral and to have him buried in Honduras.
More than 100 people in Corona, Queens remembered 3-year-old Olvin Figueroa, many with tears welled up in their eyes, surrounding his parents with candles, prayers and balloons.
Carina Osorrio fought back tears as she told Eyewitness News all about her son.
She says the 3-year-old was very active but a welcomed handful to the family.
Carina and Olvin were walking home from the market Friday night when the 3-year-old was hit and killed by an alleged drunk driver at the intersection of Junction and Northern Boulevards.
The 34-year-old mother from Honduras says the driver stopped about a block away then came running back to help.
Osorrio says the driver claimed he didn't see them.
They quickly put Olvin's lifeless body into his SUV and rushed to the hospital.
There, police arrested Gilbert Echeverria and later charged him with driving while intoxicated, vehicular manslaughter, and criminally negligent homicide.
Olvin's father says drivers need to think twice before driving under the influence.
Now community leaders are spreading that message and asking for donations for the family.
"It's very serious when people drink and drive and to lose such a young person in this horrible incident it's just, this mother will never go to the first day of school with her son, or graduation," City Councilmember Julissa Ferreras said.
Olvin's mother says the same night doctors pronounced her son dead at the hospital; she learned from doctors that she is two months pregnant.
To make a donation to the family, an account has been set up at TD Bank. For more information please contact Councilmember Julissa Ferreras' office http://council.nyc.gov/d21/html/members/home.shtml.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, child death, drunk driving, corona, queens news, new york news, carolina leid
- Car fires cause building evacuation in Ridgefield Park 3 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Cloudy, But Mild
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC - Now available on Android Phones
- Search continues for missing autistic teen 7 min ago
- Senate leader announces bipartisan budget deal
- Decision day in New Jersey Senate special election
- Lhota releases ad warning crime will rise if de Blasio wins
- New surveillance video released in Queens sex attack
- CT man charged with making explosives inside home
- Giant sea creature found off California
- Photos: Elton John AIDS Foundation fundraiser
- Photos: Kangaroo jumps around airport in Australia
- Photos: Stars dance to their most memorable year
Eyewitness News Links
-
Most Popular
-
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- 7online home
- Site Map
- RSS
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help
- ABC.com
- ABCNews.com
- Privacy Policy
- Interest-Based Ads
- Safety Information for this site
- Terms of Use
- Copyright ©2013 ABC Inc., WABC-TV/DT New York, NY. All Rights Reserved.





