New York News
Upper West Side shooting leaves man in critical condition
UPPER WEST SIDE (WABC) -- Police are investigating a shooting on the Upper West Side.
Hours after the shooting detectives continued to pound the pavement, including a stop back at the deli where cameras captured the shooting.
It happened just after midnight at the intersection of West 88th Street and Amsterdam Avenue.
You can see the victim fall to ground and he's approached by two suspects who also kick him and then run off.
Despite being shot twice in the chest, the 45-year-old victim stands up under his own power.
He even hailed a livery cab which took him to St. Luke's Hospital 26 blocks away.
The victim, who is said to be in his 40s, is seen in surveillance video getting into a taxi, where he headed to the hospital. Eyewitness News is told the victim, who lives nearby, has 21 prior arrests dating back to 1986 including robbery and narcotics. He has been in state prison five times.
Indeed police flooded the area; especially a public housing building which many in the neighborhood say is a known drug location.
While a full-fledged crime scene investigation is not an everyday occurrence on the Upper West Side, crime, even violent crime, is not unheard of.
Police do not currently have a suspect in custody, and there is no word yet on a motive.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, shooting, upper west side, new york news, marcus solis
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Queens hit and run 23 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane
33 min ago