New York News
Suspect arrested in attempted rape of NYU student
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police have arrested a suspect in subway sex attack in SoHo on a NYU student last week.
The suspect has been identified as 28-year-old Glenn Williams of Scarsdale, New York. He is charged with 1st degree attempted rape, robbery and related offenses.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that Williams was just released from Riverview Correctional Facility on parole in August. He was serving a two to four year sentence for criminal possession of a weapon. Williams has at least 55 prior arrests, sources said.
Authorities say Williams matched the description of the person caught on surveillance video following the attack.
He is accused of attacking a 20-year-old NYU student near Prince and Thompson streets around 1:15 a.m. on Tuesday, October 8.
On video, the suspect is seen hiding in a vestibule, moments after he allegedly tried to rape the student.
She told detectives she was walking alone and wearing headphones at the time of the attack. The victim was dragged between two parked cars where the man tried to assault her.
He took off after she screamed and resisted. He stole her bag in the process, and then he hid in the vestibule where he removed his coat before leaving as if nothing had happened.
"She was approached by an individual from behind punched in the head, attempted to drag her into an area. She was inappropriately touched and then the individual ran away," Police Commission Ray Kelly said.
Other women in the neighorhood told Eyewitness News that the attack was a reminder to be vigilant. Even in neighborhoods that have long been regarded as safe.
The victim was treated for injuries to her face.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, soho, rape, robbery, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 28 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
28 min ago