New York News
Biker testifies at grand jury into motorcycle road rage case
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Another motorcycle rider charged in last month's assault on an SUV driver is speaking out about what happened.
The biker testified before a grand jury on Wednesday. Clint Caldwell and his attorney talked to us outside the courthouse in Lower Manhattan.
Caldwell's attorney said his client chose to make a statement before the grand jury in the hopes that they would not indict him on gang assault and assault charges.
He says Caldwell only followed Alexian Lien's SUV. He says at the time his client believed Lien was a hit and run driver, and he instructed Lien to stop.
He maintains that Caldwell did not strike Lien or the SUV. Caldwell says he was just trying to be a good guy.
MILES: Do you feel like a load has been lifted to a certain extent?
CALDWELL: Not yet. When everything is over, then I'll feel that way. For now, no. I feel good, though, still.
MILES: Lots of defendants do not testify before a grand jury, but you did because?
CALDWELL: I'm innocent.
The grand jury proceedings are done in private, so no comment from the district attorney's office. We will hear only if the grand jury decides to indict Caldwell or not.
Two bikers have been formally indicted on gang assault charges.
Lien was celebrating his wedding anniversary with his wife and child on September 29 when their Range Rover was surrounded by motorcyclists on the West Side Highway. Lien's SUV bumped the back of one of the motorcycles. When angry bikers began pounding on the vehicle, police said Lien hit the gas, striking multiple motorcycles and critically injuring one of the bikers.
The bikers then pursued the SUV until they caught up on West 178th Street and surrounded the vehicle. The bikers are seen on video smashing the vehicle with their helmets. Police said he was eventually pulled Lien from the vehicle and began beating him until good Samaritans came to his aid.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident