New York News
Funeral for FDNY firefighter killed by alleged drunk driver
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Family and friends gathered Thursday on the Upper East Side for the funeral of a firefighter killed by an alleged drunk driver.
57-year old John Monteverde of Whitestone, Queens was a 31-year veteran of the FDNY. He served with Engine 159 on Staten Island.
He was killed last week in New Jersey while riding his motorcycle to work.
The crash happened in the area of North Avenue and Vivian Terrace in Union Township around 5:15 a.m.
Monteverde was apparently struck while the car was attempting to make a turn, and was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the vehicle was arrested and charged with DWI.
FDNY Commisioner Salvatore Cassano released the following statement: "The entire Department mourns the tragic loss of Firefighter John Monteverde, and we extend our deepest sympathies to his family and friends. John selflessly served the city for more than 31 years during which he was cited four times for his bravery at fires and for his life-saving medical work as a member of Engine Company 22 in Manhattan. He also devoted countless hours working tirelessly at the World Trade Center site in the rescue and recovery effort following the September 11 terrorist attacks, which took the lives of nine of his fellow firefighters at Engine 22 and Ladder 13. Our hearts and prayers are with his family and all those who knew and loved him."
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, firefighter killed, drunk driving, new york news
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 58 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
58 min ago