New York News
MTA officer struck by car at Verrazano Bridge
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An MTA Bridges and Tunnels officer was critically injured when he was struck by a vehicle Sunday morning at the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.
Authorities say 61-year old Thomas Choi, a 10-year veteran, had parked his wrecker truck near the entrance to the Brooklyn-bound lower level of the bridge near the facility administration building when he was struck by a Nissan Maxima with New Jersey plates at around 7:45 a.m.
The 26-year-old female driver from Bayonne remained at the scene. The cause of the accident is under investigation by the NYPD Collision Investigation Squad. The driver and four passengers inside the car were not injured.
"The entire Bridges and Tunnels family is saddened by this tragic event," said Bridges and Tunnels President Jim Ferrara. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Officer Choi, his family and all of his colleagues who work with him daily."
The car struck Officer Choi, sending him into the windshield before being catapulted about 10 feet to the ground. He suffered severe pelvic and head injuries and was unconscious when he was taken by ambulance to Staten Island University North Hospital where his condition remains critical.
The lower level of the bridge is closed at midnight on weekends and reopens around 8 a.m. Choi was in the process of removing barrels blocking the roadway when he was struck. The MTA says electronic message signs and red lights showing the roadway was closed were in place when the accident occurred.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, mta, officer injured, new york city, new york news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire 48 min ago
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 42 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction 35 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park