New York News
Fleeing Brooklyn vandalism suspect sparks massive crash
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A fuel truck driver was critically injured when a suspected vandal fled from Housing Bureau officers in Brooklyn and crashed in the victim's vehicle late Sunday.
The crash happened at the intersection of Tompkins and Myrtle avenues in Bedford-Stuyvesant just before 10:30 p.m.
Authorities say the incident began with Housing Authority police officers observing a man identified as 27-year-old Wilbert Rodriguez, of Pennsylvania, damaging a parked car with a baseball bat.
When the officer intervened, the suspect reportedly jumped into his vehicle, with another man inside, and tried to flee the scene.
While making his getaway, police say Rodriguez brushed his vehicle against the three officers, then slammed into the van, flipping it over on to its side.
The 66-year-old van driver is in critical but stable condition with a broken jaw and other injuries at Woodhull Hospital. The officers are were treated and released from Wyckoff Hospital.
The suspect and passenger, 23-year-old Abrenim Rodriguez-Quezada, of Queens, suffered various minor injuries.
Rodriguez is charged with assault on a police officer, assault, criminal mischief, reckless endangerment, aggravated unlicensed operator of a vehicle, traffic device violation and driving at an imprudent speed.
Rodriguez-Quezada is charged with criminal mischief.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, brooklyn news, bedford-stuyvesant, accident, vandalism, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged 8 min ago
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 20 min ago
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 31 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing 1 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Third grader hit and killed by truck,...
8 min ago