New York News
Fleeing Brooklyn vandalism suspect sparks massive crash
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A fuel truck driver was critically injured when a suspected vandal fled from Housing Bureau officers in Brooklyn and crashed in the victim's vehicle late Sunday.
The crash happened at the intersection of Tompkins and Myrtle avenues in Bedford-Stuyvesant just before 10:30 p.m.
Authorities say the incident began with Housing Authority police officers observing a man identified as 27-year-old Wilbert Rodriguez, of Pennsylvania, damaging a parked car with a baseball bat.
When the officer intervened, the suspect reportedly jumped into his vehicle, with another man inside, and tried to flee the scene.
While making his getaway, police say Rodriguez brushed his vehicle against the three officers, then slammed into the van, flipping it over on to its side.
The 66-year-old van driver is in critical but stable condition with a broken jaw and other injuries at Woodhull Hospital. The officers are were treated and released from Wyckoff Hospital.
The suspect and passenger, 23-year-old Abrenim Rodriguez-Quezada, of Queens, suffered various minor injuries.
Rodriguez is charged with assault on a police officer, assault, criminal mischief, reckless endangerment, aggravated unlicensed operator of a vehicle, traffic device violation and driving at an imprudent speed.
Rodriguez-Quezada is charged with criminal mischief.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, brooklyn news, bedford-stuyvesant, accident, vandalism, new york news
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Newark tanker fire snarls traffic, delays NJ Transit trains
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Suspect in terrifying Brooklyn sex assault caught on camera
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- George Zimmerman's parents sue Roseanne Barr
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas
- Report: Average Wall Street bonus tops $164,000