New York News
Bronx hit and run kills elderly pedestrian
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police in the Bronx are searching for the driver who left the scene of an accident that killed a 74-year old man.
The man was struck by three cars at the intersection of Puritan and East Tremont Avenue in the Schuylerville section, but only two drivers stopped.
The third, a Nissan SUV, took off.
The victim, Angel Figueroa, was crossing East Tremont Monday morning when he was hit by a Dodge Durango, a Nissan Altima, and the Nissan SUV.
Police say they arrested the driver of the Durango for having a suspended license.
The victim's granddaughter said Figueroa had an appointment at an urgent care center and had his car parked on East Tremont.
Robert Jean owns a flower shop near the intersection, and calls the section of East Tremont 'Devil's Curve', because of how drivers race around the bend.
"The one thing I'm told will be done is that they're going to put up more signs," said Jean. "They're going to put up speed signs to tell you how fast you're going, when you see something like that, the tenancy is that you happen to slow down."
It's not yet clear whether Figueroa had the right of way or if he was dodging traffic.
Police have now set up a trap at the intersection to try and catch drivers running through the red light.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- Bratton to join Sharpton at rally in Harlem 53 min ago
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 21 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
21 min ago