New York News
3-alarm Flatbush fire leaves 2 firefighters hurt
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Two firefighters suffered minor injuries and a resident refused medical attention after being rescued from a fire that tore through a home in Brooklyn early Wednesday.
The flames broke out at a three-story multi-family dwelling on East 35th Street in the Flatbush section around 4 a.m. and quickly spread to three alarms.
There were several people inside at the time, but all of them managed to escape safely except for one person who needed to be rescued from inside a bathroom on one of the upper levels.
Firefighters were able to get to the disabled woman and pull her to safety.
She refused medical treatment at the scene, while two firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze within two hours, but were still working on hotspots and making sure all the fire was out.
"The fire started on the first floor and then went to both the second and third floor," FDNY assistant chief Joseph Pfeifer said. "A little while later, because of the volume of fire, we transferred to a third alarm. So there was about three dozen units here and about 100 firefighters."
Firefighters were concerned the flames would spread to neighboring buildings, which brought about the massive effort.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, flatbush, brooklyn news, fire, new york news
- Bergen County officer hurt in Lodi crash 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer 44 min ago
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 35 min ago
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 23 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32 30 min ago
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Bergen County officer hurt in Lodi crash
42 min ago