New York News
3-alarm Flatbush fire leaves 2 firefighters hurt
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- Two firefighters suffered minor injuries and a resident refused medical attention after being rescued from a fire that tore through a home in Brooklyn early Wednesday.
The flames broke out at a three-story multi-family dwelling on East 35th Street in the Flatbush section around 4 a.m. and quickly spread to three alarms.
There were several people inside at the time, but all of them managed to escape safely except for one person who needed to be rescued from inside a bathroom on one of the upper levels.
Firefighters were able to get to the disabled woman and pull her to safety.
She refused medical treatment at the scene, while two firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze within two hours, but were still working on hotspots and making sure all the fire was out.
"The fire started on the first floor and then went to both the second and third floor," FDNY assistant chief Joseph Pfeifer said. "A little while later, because of the volume of fire, we transferred to a third alarm. So there was about three dozen units here and about 100 firefighters."
Firefighters were concerned the flames would spread to neighboring buildings, which brought about the massive effort.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, flatbush, brooklyn news, fire, new york news
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder 26 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem 22 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey 47 min ago
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing 6 min ago
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel 57 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Majority of debris removed from explosion...
7 min ago
- Residents displaced by explosion search for...
8 min ago
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem
22 min ago
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of...
6 min ago