New York News
Biker in West Side motorcycle road rage incident due in court
abc7 extra: GRAPHIC: New video of motorcycle assault
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One of the motorcyclists charged in the road rage incident involving the beating of an SUV driver is due in court Thursday.
Christopher Cruz, 28, is charged with reckless driving and unlawful imprisonment in connection with the incident.
He is accused of sparking the incident by pulling in front of the SUV driven by Alexian Lien on the Henry Hudson Parkway and then slowing down.
Exclusive video obtained by Eyewitness News reporter Darla Miles shows the brutal beating by the group of bikers.
Cruz will be back in court to find out if grand jury action is needed.
The assault lasted about 20 seconds, and the video shows shows bikers gathered around Lien, stomping on him and beating him.
Sources tell Eyewitness News that 40-year-old Jason Brown is the man seen beating Lien with his helmet, hitting him so hard the visor broke.
Brown is the ninth biker charged in the case, which happened on September 29 as the group of motorcyclists rode up the parkway following a rally.
After the SUV bumped the motorcycle, the bikers surrounded and converged on the Range Rover, prompting Lien to hit the gas and run over another biker, who was left paralyzed. Lien claims he was fearing for his life and family, with his wife and 2-year-old daughter also in the vehicle.
The bikers chased Lien, caught up to him in traffic, pulled him from the vehicle and attacked him, police and prosecutors say. The encounters were partly caught on a helmet-camera video posted online.
Lien hasn't been charged with any crime and continues to recover from injuries he suffered during the assault.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Snow alert issued for New York City
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane 20 min ago
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Police hunt driver in deadly Queens hit and run
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness' 16 min ago
- Eric Gelinas' OT goal helps Devils beat Rangers
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia