New York News
Madison Square Garden unveils billion dollar renovation
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Madison Square Garden is one billion dollars better Thursday, marking the completion of a top-to-bottom renovation.
"Sports are really about entertainment, and it is about fan-user experience, and I think MSG and New York City deserves this," said former New York Ranger Mark Messier.
The renovation began back in 2011 and included 3 off-season shutdowns. The result is more comfortable seating, expanded concourses and suites. Several new exhibits now pay tribute to the Garden's rich history. For some, it is the smaller moments that add up over the years.
"It wasn't that big a game, but probably Christmas 1985, me and my buddies came in when the Knicks upset the Celtics," said actor Ed Burns.
For others, it will be the new games yet to come.
Talk about being on top of the action - new sky bridges are a part of the renovation. The new bridges have glass walls, seating and walkways, as well as an amazing view down below.
There are also new ceiling screens in the MSG lobby; two of them are 600-feet long. The new Garden Vision is also bigger than ever. According to MSG CEO Hank Ratner, the screen area is over four hundred percent bigger, and there is a new screen underneath as well.
"One billion dollars was invested in this building, and you know what I loved best about it?" said Governor Andrew Cuomo, "None of it was my money, that's what I'm really excited about!"
The new MSG officially opens Friday night.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news, stacey sager
- At least 1 dead, 15 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 20 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25