New York News
Macy's in Herald Square back open after fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Macy's flagship Herald Square store in Manhattan is open Saturday, after hundreds of people were evacuated Friday night because of a fire in the basement.
Investigators are still not sure what caused the small fire that broke out in the Macys sub-basement on the 34th Street side. It was already contained when firefighters arrived thanks to the building's sprinkler system.
For workers and customers inside, it was more confusing than scary.
"People were trying to figure what was going on. There was no real urgency at that point," said Michelle Hermsen, a shopper.
At first people on the basement and first floor levels were told to evacuate the building and head to the exit doors on Broadway.
But eventually, everyone was ordered out.
Michelle Hermsen recorded some of the evacuation on her cellphone.
"It was a little bit scary," Hermsen said.
It wasn't until everyone was outside that they realized there was a fire in the building.
By then, the smoke was more visible looking through the windows and the smoke smell was strong.
"Then we started seeing firefighters and we said, 'Oh, something really happened down there,'" said Claudia Schmitt, a shopper.
Despite the store being crowded on a Friday night, Guy Frazier who works on the third floor says workers knew what to do, where to go, and customers kept their cool.
"Nice and orderly. I helped a woman names Florence who was 83 years old," said Guy Frazier, a Macy's employee.
The well-known department store has over 1 million square feet of retail space.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- At least 6 dead, 69 hurt in East Harlem explosion
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day 16 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two East Harlem explosion victims identified
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem
- Dozens homeless after East Harlem buildings destroyed
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Investigators focus on an old cast-iron gas pipeline
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media
- Video: Damage throughout neighborhood after East...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
16 min ago