New York News
Macy's in Herald Square back open after fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Macy's flagship Herald Square store in Manhattan is open Saturday, after hundreds of people were evacuated Friday night because of a fire in the basement.
Investigators are still not sure what caused the small fire that broke out in the Macys sub-basement on the 34th Street side. It was already contained when firefighters arrived thanks to the building's sprinkler system.
For workers and customers inside, it was more confusing than scary.
"People were trying to figure what was going on. There was no real urgency at that point," said Michelle Hermsen, a shopper.
At first people on the basement and first floor levels were told to evacuate the building and head to the exit doors on Broadway.
But eventually, everyone was ordered out.
Michelle Hermsen recorded some of the evacuation on her cellphone.
"It was a little bit scary," Hermsen said.
It wasn't until everyone was outside that they realized there was a fire in the building.
By then, the smoke was more visible looking through the windows and the smoke smell was strong.
"Then we started seeing firefighters and we said, 'Oh, something really happened down there,'" said Claudia Schmitt, a shopper.
Despite the store being crowded on a Friday night, Guy Frazier who works on the third floor says workers knew what to do, where to go, and customers kept their cool.
"Nice and orderly. I helped a woman names Florence who was 83 years old," said Guy Frazier, a Macy's employee.
The well-known department store has over 1 million square feet of retail space.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 58 min ago
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad 23 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Bloomberg rides 7 train to station he helped build 37 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos