New York News
FDNY says fire that killed 3 boys in the Bronx sparked by candle
HIGHBRIDGE (WABC) -- Investigators say the fire that killed three children in the Bronx Friday night was accidental, caused by a candle in the kitchen area.
The three-alarm fire broke out inside a building on West 165th Street in the Highbridge section.
5-year-old Elijah Artis, 2-year-old Jeremiah Artis, and 4-month-old Michael Turner were killed in the fire.
Their 25-year-old mother, 4-year-old sister, and 4-month-old baby sister were taken to Lincoln Hospital where they were being treated for smoke inhalation.
Neighbor Eddie Tate took one of the girls from her mother, and carried her to safety.
Ten other people from surrounding apartments were treated for smoke inhalation, but none had life-threatening injuries.
A spokesman for Con Ed says power had been cut off to the family's apartment for non-payment.
According to neighbors, the mother had gone to the bodega downstairs and bought candles to light the apartment.
Fire marshals said the apartment did not have smoke alarms.
The mother had been approved for public assistance, and the lights were due to come back on Saturday.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos