New York News
FDNY says fire that killed 3 boys in the Bronx sparked by candle
HIGHBRIDGE (WABC) -- Investigators say the fire that killed three children in the Bronx Friday night was accidental, caused by a candle in the kitchen area.
The three-alarm fire broke out inside a building on West 165th Street in the Highbridge section.
5-year-old Elijah Artis, 2-year-old Jeremiah Artis, and 4-month-old Michael Turner were killed in the fire.
Their 25-year-old mother, 4-year-old sister, and 4-month-old baby sister were taken to Lincoln Hospital where they were being treated for smoke inhalation.
Neighbor Eddie Tate took one of the girls from her mother, and carried her to safety.
Ten other people from surrounding apartments were treated for smoke inhalation, but none had life-threatening injuries.
A spokesman for Con Ed says power had been cut off to the family's apartment for non-payment.
According to neighbors, the mother had gone to the bodega downstairs and bought candles to light the apartment.
Fire marshals said the apartment did not have smoke alarms.
The mother had been approved for public assistance, and the lights were due to come back on Saturday.
nyc news, new york city news, new york news, new york city, new york news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo 53 min ago
- Success Academy parents to sue in charter school fight 15 min ago
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos